Furniture Making Courses
Welcome to Philadelphia Furniture Workshop, a tax exempt, nonprofit, full service teaching studio for those interested in woodworking. PFW's goal is to provide a broad range of hands-on classes for woodworkers of all levels, including beginners. Throughout the year, furniture making courses are offered on weekends and in the evenings. In the summer, PFW offers week-long project based courses targeted to differing skill levels at our woodworking school. Come work in one of the finest shops while learning both beginning and advanced skills.
Current woodworking instruction tends to primarily focus on either machine work or hand work, and many woodworkers tend to embrace either one or the other at the beginning. This singular approach can limit the scope of one’s work, and one might never develop his full creative potential. Here at PFW our goal is to open doors for our students, not close them. We believe that the most enjoyable and successful woodworking is achieved by striking a balance. We teach the use of machinery and power tools for the preparatory and mechanical aspects of a project in order to achieve the best results in a safe and efficient manner, and then turn to hand tools and other traditional techniques. It is these hand tool methods that permit the distinctive details and refinements which will elevate your project from the common to the outstanding.
So no matter your skill level, interest, or direction as a woodworker, the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop has much to offer. Come join us and learn furniture making and woodworking skills in a supportive and invigorating studio environment. Our school provides instruction in furniture making such as woodturning course or lathe woodturning techniques, how to use a plane (planecraft), tablesaw techniques, mortise and tenon joint classes, dovetail classes, techniques in veneering, chisel techniques, and instruction in finishing such as French Polishing and Oil and Varnish. There are many more woodworking courses so check our calendar to see them all.
Do you have a small workshop that is in need of a workbench. Consider taking our Small Shop Workbench Building Course. At the course the student builds an adjustable height workbench that is 24 inches wide, five foot long and has a top of hard maple at 1-3/4" thick. Check our calendar for when it is offered.
Upcoming Fall Classes
Hand Cut Dovetails
- Fine furniture is characterized by fine joinery, and hand cut dovetails are joints that attract attention. Learn to cut them reliably, and gap free, in just one weekend. Weekend of October 17.
Master Class - Litchfield Collector's Chest
- This is a chest of drawers, built correctly, albeit a bit on the smaller side. Drawers work effortlessly; inlays are crisp, and the style is decidedly Connecticut. This is a piece your family will enjoy for many generations. In our master classes, we teach for a weekend, and then students will apply that information and complete the remaining work at home in preparation for another session, where different skills are covered. Starting the weekend of October 24, and continuing into February, for a total of 5 weekends.
- For woodworkers interested in building Windsor chairs, this is a perfect introduction. This project has a total of 5 turned parts (3 legs, 2 stretchers). The solid butternut seat is drilled for the legs, and then scooped by hand to a smooth, shallow curve. The stool, assembled like a Windsor but with fewer parts, goes together quickly.
The result is a simple, but stylish stool that is perfect for the shop, office, or home.
Five Tuesday evenings: November 3, 10, 17 and December 1, 8.
Woodturning for the Beginner
- PFW teaches spindle turning with a focus on the needs of a furniture maker. Learn to use gouges, skews, parting and other cutting tools. In one short weekend you will be able to enhance your furniture with turned parts, from half columns to pulls. Weekend of Nov. 7, 2015
Keepsake Box - We all have our priceless keepsakes; objects with sentimental value that deserve a special place to keep them safe. Our keepsake box (4"x7"x"12") is perfect for storing and protecting those personal mementos and it also makes a beautiful gift. Weekend of December 5.
2016 is just around the corner
Total Beginner 1
- This class is designed for the beginning woodworker with little or no experience. The classes starting Thursday September 10 and Monday October 5 are filled
. Our next open offering of Total Beginner 1 is Thursday evenings starting on January 7, 2016. We are now taking registrations for this class. If you are interested, please contact us via email or phone.
- No matter how much you spend on your tools, if they're not sharp, they won't work! Learn how to get from dead dull to razor sharp in minutes. This one-day workshop covers the proper preparation, sharpening, and honing of plane irons, chisels, marking knives, carving tools, cabinet scrapers, and turning gouges. Saturday,
January 9, 2016.
- This is a one day crash course on hand plane basics. Examine the different types of hand planes and learn how to select the right one for the job. Learn to prepare your blades and cutters to razor sharpness. Learn proper and effective techniques to get the most enjoyment - and the best results - from hand planing.
Sunday, January 10, 2016.
Other courses are on calendar as well. Please join us at PFW for a great learning experience.
We look forward to seeing you soon at PFW.
Notice -- In administering its affairs, educational policies, admissions policies, financial aid programs, and other school programs, Philadelphia Furniture Workshop does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status (special disabled veterans, disabled veterans and Vietnam-era veterans), or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law or local law.
Philadelphia Furniture Workshop
A Woodworking School for PA, NJ, NY, DE & MD
Woodworking Classes and Furniture Making Courses for those in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware and Maryland
5212 Pulaski Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19144